How to Join
There are thousands of ways to be eligible—making membership easier than ever before!
Liberty FCU offers better products and services to meet the needs of you, our members. From high-interest checking to guaranteed low-rate mortgage loans, we offer all of the products and services you expect from your financial institution, plus some exciting non-traditional services. And since we’re member-owned since 1936, you know you’ll always get the friendly service you deserve.
Business and organization leaders
Business and organization leaders: Click here to learn how to add your business or organizational group to Liberty FCU’s field of membership.
Membership Frequently Asked Questions
A credit union is a cooperative organization owned entirely by its members and operated for the benefit of all who belong. Credit unions provide a full spectrum of financial services—just like other financial institutions. The difference is that credit unions are not-for-profit organizations whose earnings are passed onto all members in the form of lower loan rates, high savings rates, fewer fees and added or improved services.
We can add real value to your life. You can take care of all your financial needs right at the credit union—from savings, checking and investment plans to loans, credit cards and mortgage options—and you will probably pay less for them, too! The credit union offers 24-hour account access online and by phone. Plus, you can take care of your daily financial needs at one of our convenient branch offices or at thousands of CU Service Centers throughout the United States.
There are many reasons. Here are just a few. Liberty FCU offers you:
- Liberty FCU is owned by its members. So everything we do, we do for you! We’re the tristate’s largest credit union, but we maintain a commitment to service to each and every member.
- Full-service financial convenience: From savings, checking, and investment plans to loans, credit card, and mortgage options.
- Competitive rates: A credit union typically offers loans at lower rates and pays dividends on savings and checking at higher rates than banks.
- Safety for your funds: Your accounts are insured up to $250,000 by NCUA, a U.S. government agency. IRA funds are insured for an additional $250,000 by the NCUA.
- Friendly service: Our number one priority is member satisfaction. We’ve been providing friendly, personal and reliable service to all of our members since 1936.
- We offer convenient locations and 24-hour service online and by phone.
- We also offer non-traditional services, including a travel agency and personal property insurance agency.
We offer two convenient ways to open an account with Liberty FCU:
- Click here to open your account in minutes with our convenient online application.
- Visit any Liberty FCU location, and one of our Account Service Representatives will help open your new account.
Both options are completely free! Simply open your account with a $5 savings account. This represents your share of credit union ownership. As long as your $5 stays on deposit, you’re eligible to benefit from any credit union service. But it’s always yours to keep.
Here is just a sample:
- Savings: savings, money market, certificate, IRA, and HSA accounts.
- Checking: interest-earning checking, debit/ATM cards, and more.
- Loans: auto loans, personal loans, motorcycle/RV/boat loans, and business loans.
- Credit cards: Consumer and Business Cards.
- Home loans: fixed- and adjustable-rate mortgages and home equity options.
- Investment services: financial planning, estate planning, mutual funds and bonds.
- Convenience services: worldwide ATM service, free online banking, and more!
Yes! That’s another advantage to credit union membership. When you become part of the Liberty FCU family, we invite you to share the credit union benefit with all the members of your family: your spouse, children, stepchildren, siblings, parents, grandparents, and other household members are also welcome.
Important Information About Procedures for Opening a New Account
To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens or has the authority to transact on an account.
What this means for you: When you open an account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask to see and copy your driver’s license or other identifying documents.
The Patriot Act requires Liberty FCU to obtain customer information and verify the identity of any person or legal entity desiring to open or transact on an account with the credit union. Click here for a list of documentation required.